I found this article especially interesting, particularly because it relates well to my final project in the class. I would have liked to read more studies focused within the college-level classroom, but this study was a good fit too.
The part of this article that I specifically appreciated was the five stages of research design that the author outlined very clearly. I think it is helpful when researchers are so specific, because it allows novice ethnographers to understand what the researcher did to create a "successful" ethnography. The five stages of this critical ethnography were:
1. 18 days of observational data over 10 weeks in the classroom.
2. analysis of classroom data, including verbatim transcribing of lessons, and low and high inference coding
3. triangulating data collection and analysis to strenghten the validity
4. the structuration theory of systems analysis was applied to the data
5. interpretation and explanation of results in light of a macro-sociological theory.
I thought another important aspect of this study was the application of critical pedagogy within the results. She thoroughly discusses how some of the boys were denied access to the multiliteracies curriculum. She is clearly discussing what she thinks is an injustice, which can lead to questions about her separation from the data. However, I think because of the framework she has created for the study, she is well within her realm to make the statements that she does, without it being overly judgemental. This could be a fine line, though!
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment